[mythtv-users] My Ceiling Fan Controls My Mythtv Sound

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Mon Jul 31 22:12:23 UTC 2006

Since your fan does not include a remote control these are your most likly
suspects.

1) The fan itself. Some fans use a scr to control the speed (others use
multiple windings.) The ones with a scr are very bad producers of
interference on the power lines. They generate a spike on every ac cycle. To
check the fan, try it on the highest speed setting. That will disable the
speed reduction circuit.

2) Your ac power lines themselves. If your lines are poor. (Low voltage,
varying frequency, brown-outs, frequent outages, etc... ) This could be
affecting your settop box directly. The spike from turning on the fan could
be messing with your converter. Nothing much you can do there. You can try
moving the myth stuff to a different circuit. One preferably on the other
side of the 220vac line into your house. You could also buy a Uninteruptable
power supply (UPS) and run everything in your mythtv system off that. (Not
the tv and surround sound if you have it.) This has the added plus of
keeping your recordings going even when the power goes out. I get about 20
minutes run time off my UPS.

3) The fact that your hardware is not directly supported in ivtv could very
likely be the problem. My personal most likely solution to your problem -->
Get some well supported hardware and replace what you are using.

Good luck.