[mythtv-users] ERROR - Could not find dvb tuning parameters for mplex 0

Simon Allcorn simon.allcorn at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 21:31:41 UTC 2006

Hi,

I've just had the above error (uk , crystal palace, 2x nova-t dvb
cards, gentoo, myth 0.19 built from tarball) and I've worked out how
to get around it. I came across this trying to get tv_grab_uk_rt to
work and line up with my channels as defined by by the scan util in
dvb-apps (auto scanning in myhtv-setup to get the channels details
having given myth a transport id appears not to work for me & I read
other have had the same issue). This error happens when you overwrite
the channel id's defined my dvb-apps/scan with the channel id's
defined by tv_grab_uk_rt. Looking in mythtv-setup they appear to be
the same BUT the channels defined by tv_grab_uk_rt won't have any of
the dvb values defined (I *think* - I don't know this for sure.)

Anyway - cut to the chase - this is how to get it working from a fresh
/ empty database situation.

1) run dvb-apps/scan to get your list of dvb channels - it should look
something like this:

# cat dvb_channels
BBC1 London & South
East:505833330:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_8_MHZ:FEC_3_4:FEC_3_4:QAM_16:TRANSMISSION_MODE_2K:GUARD_INTERVAL_1_32:HIERARCHY_NONE:600:601:4164
BBC2 London & South
East:505833330:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_8_MHZ:FEC_3_4:FEC_3_4:QAM_16:TRANSMISSION_MODE_2K:GUARD_INTERVAL_1_32:HIERARCHY_NONE:610:611:4228

2) get your xml tv guide data sorted. First you will need to run

# tv_grab_uk_rt --configure

to select which channels your interested in. This produces a config
file - here is mine:

# cat tv_grab_uk_rt.conf
channel london.bbc1.bbc.co.uk
channel london.bbc2.bbc.co.uk

(remember these - we will need them in a sec)

3) now collect your xml tv data into a temp file somewhere:

# /usr/bin/tv_grab_uk_rt --quiet --days  1 2>/tmp/xmltv.err | tv_sort
> /tmp/TV.xml 2>/tmp/tvsort.error

4) now we need to import this dvb_channels information into mythtv:

# mythtv-setup

select option 5 (channel editor)

delete *ALL* channels defined here - delete channels/yes, delete channels

now import your dvb_channels file by select selecting channel scanner
then scan type = import chanels.conf. This should confirm to you the
channels from your dvb_channels file.

NOW - THIS IS THE IMPORTANT BIT - for each channel just imported
select it and populate the box 'XML TV ID' with the corresponding
value from tv_grab_uk_rt.conf - so in my case this would be
'london.bbc1.bbc.co.uk' and 'london.bbc2.bbc.co.uk'. (DO NOT SELECT
THE TICK BOX NEXT TO IT!!!)

Now we've done this exit back to the main screen and select option 4
'Input connectors'. For each dvb card make sure you have a valid
starting channel id (which is 501 or 502 in this case)

5) Now lets exit the mythtv-setup and run 'mythfilldatabase' to get
the dvb channel details into the database

6) Now we need to get the xmltv data guide for our channels into the
database, something like:

# /usr/local/bin/mythfilldatabase --file 1 5 /tmp/TV.xml

7) now finally run mythtvbackend myhtvfrontend - and with a bit of
luck you've got tv working with the correct xml tv guide !

Cheers

Simon