[mythtv-users] is mythtv smart enough to do this(overlap/back-to-back) with recordings?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jul 31 19:52:13 UTC 2006

On 07/30/2006 10:35 PM, Brad Templeton wrote:

>Perhaps we misunderstand one another.  The code already exists.  With
>the live tv playback group in particular.

You're confusing about 3 (or 4) different terms here.

>Right now for example, you can watch live tv, and channel surf, and it
>puts each fragment of show into a different program file (with its own
>entry in the recorded database) and you can watch them, and rewind and
>ff a and play over the program boundaries.

For clarification:

Playlist = list of recordings to be played one after another; the list
is created by a user

Playback Group (a.k.a. playgroups) = a group of recording playback
settings that can be used to set defaults for i.e. seek/jump times,
timestretch, etc. (more, probably, in the future)

Recording Group = a group of recordings that are all somehow related,
i.e. the LiveTV recording group consists of programs (or partial
programs) recorded from LiveTV; users may also create their own custom
recording groups, thereby defining their own relationships

LiveTV chain = chain of recordings (files) recorded during a single
LiveTV session; users can rewind from the current show to the previous
show or fast forward to the next show; the chain may be modified (i.e.
short "channel surfing" recordings autoexpired from the chain) during
the LiveTV session; TTBOMK, no record of the LiveTV chain is kept long
term (i.e. it is lost when the user exits LiveTV)

Mike