[mythtv-users] Laptop as disconnected frontend?

Steve Briggs zzybaloobah at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 31 03:58:37 UTC 2006

I have a normal myth setup at home and everything works
great.   Now, we want to go on vacation and I want to
copy some recordings to my laptop (which has frontend
software installed) so that we can watch them on vacation.
So, I want to just do something like:
   mythtv 1038_20060723121500.nuv
while on the road and have it play the video.

Unfortunately, it tries to connect to the backend,
which of course isn't there because the laptop isn't
on the network.  Is there any way to just play a
recording (mpeg-4, BTW) without the backend/database/MySQL?

If mythtv won't play it without a backend, am I stuck
transcoding it (from .nuv on my home network) to a "real"
mpeg4 (i.e.something mplayer will understand) on my
laptop?  That's a lot more painful than just copying
the file over to the laptop.

TIA,
Steve