[mythtv-users] 169Time revisited

Mario Limonciello mario.mailing at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 22:45:02 UTC 2006

I know there has a been a fair amount of chatter about 169Time & their
firewire modifications before, but not much ever came of it for myth
support.

In getting fed up with my cable co adding 5C this weekend, I wanted to
revisit 169Time and see if there was any changes to their support.  Since I
last looked (1.5 yrs or so ago), they had their AVX1 PC being a Windows
box.  Since then, that has changed to it being a linux box, but still
putting out an output compatible with DVHS decks.  A small snippet from
their homepage caught a glimmer in my eye however:

*Method number Two* achieves PC hard drive recording from the AVX1 without
> having the deck present. This requires that the AVX1 be running software
> version 08A4 or newer. See the AVX1 software update section for specific
> details about updates. Version 08B3 will not work for this purpose. Also,
> the firewire interface in the Windows XP PC that is used for the hard drive
> recording may not have more than 2 ports. A motherboard based firewire or an
> add in card with one or two ports will work.
>
> In this configuration the Windows XP PC detects the AVX1 and allows
> selecting the software driver ordinarily used for the the JVC deck. This
> permits the Windows PC to communicate with the AVX1 even though the deck
> isn't present. Please review the AVX1 software and firewire card
> requirements stated herein above carefully.
>
> Deploying a system that combines a user built AVX1 with a second PC for
> hard drive recording and playback is a complex task with potential pitfalls.
> It is strongly suggested that a JVC DVHS deck be available for debug, debug
> playback, and other testing.

Nowadays, the Windows DVHS driver can be used to receive video from these
AVX1's in Windows.  This made me think a little more and look to see if
there is any support in the linux world for the DVHS boxes (that perhaps the
driver can be used with an AVX1).

According to this post, linux1394 has matured enough to produce a DVHS
driver.
http://www.kinodv.org/dcforum/dcforum?az=show_topic&forum2&topic_idC6&mesg_idC6&listing_type=search

So anyone on the list actually have a 169Time mod done?  Would you care to
experiment with linux1394 svn to see if you can grab video?  Or anyone else
have an opinion about why this shouldn't work?