[mythtv-users] MythCenter-wide theme and preview image issue

Otto Kolsi otto at kolsi.fi
Sun Jul 30 20:14:14 UTC 2006

Robert Tsai wrote:
>> In Watch Recordings screen all the 16:9 content is fine. But for 4:3
>> programs the preview image is too high and part of the program
>> description is hidden behind the preview image (if the program
>> contains long enough description). This would be fixed if either the
>
> Hrm. I adapated MythCenter-wide from MythCenter. I watch mostly
> broadcast HDTV, so most of my stuff is in 16:9. I'd rather not have to
> waste empty space for the few 4:3 stuff I record. Screen real-estate,
> while more plentiful in -wide mode, is still somewhat scarce.

Well, I understand your point.. but I have maybe 50-60% of programs
still in 4:3. It would be nice to have this fixed one way or another.

> I don't think the preview image height is forced to some specific set
> of dimensions. I'm not a theme expert, but it seems that they are all
> of the same width, and the height is calculated from that, to preserve
> aspect ratio.

I think it would work better if the height would be fixed and width
would be calculated. There seems to be much more space in that direction
(wide-screen after all :). Well, I know nothing about theme internals so
there might be also some other issues involved..

>> Another slightly related issue.. MythWelcome and MythNews utilize
>> only partially the screen (in 4:3) while e.g. MythMusic uses the
>> whole wide screen space. Is this a configuration or 'not yet
>> implemented' issue?
>
> This is because I don't use MythWelcome or MythNews (or some other
> plugins), so I never bothered writing wide-screen versions of the
> theme .xml files. Contributions would be welcome.

This would be a good place to look into how themes work etc. But first
I'll have to build a new backend machine :)
--
   Otto