[mythtv-users] MythTV as a windowed app?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 18:50:54 UTC 2006

On 7/30/06, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-07-29 at 11:00 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Hi,
> >    I've never run across the need before but it seems with MythTV-0.19
> > the CPU usage requirements have gone up a bit and now one of my
> > underpowered machines is really not very happy running Myth when the
> > desktop resolution is set to 1280x1024.
>
> Are you actually trying to display content that has this kind of
> resolution?

No.

> > I'm seeing a lot of jerkiness
> > in the video that I never saw with Myth-0.18.
>
> Yeah, we all are.  *Something* happened from 0.18->0.19 to cause it's
> performance to tank.

OK, so it's not only me. Good to know. Thanks.

<SNIP>

> But all of this aside, I have to ask, if the content you are trying to
> display is only (say), 720( or rather 640[1])x480 why set your display
> to more than 640x480?

Because these are desktop PCs being operated most of the time as
regular PCs so we want 1280x1024 on a 19" monitor because it looks
nice. And - it always worked using 0.18 which seemed more efficient
somehow. It's only since going to 0.19 that we had this problem.

That said, I'm very happy so far with the windowed operation that we
came up with choosing --geometry at the command line and running Myth
as a windowed app from it's setup menu. The only negative I've seen is
that at time the window wants to jump back to a default location on
the screen, but that's not a big problem.

Hope this explains why we asked the question.

Cheers,
Mark