[mythtv-users] is mythtv smart enough to do this(overlap/back-to-back) with recordings?

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Sun Jul 30 00:08:19 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 02:36:19AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Since you didn't understand my post (linked above), the Cliff's Notes
> version is:  "Back-to-back recordings are not always captured using the
> same capture card, to ensure the highest-priority shows get recorded on
> the highest-quality capture cards."  (And we're not talking a small
> percentage of the time, either--I would say bordering on 50% of the
> time, at least, on my systems.)

Perhaps some fuzzy logic is required?  In the multi-processor
programming world, for example, threads have a "processor affinity"
which says that they would prefer to be run on a specific
processor.  Any reasonable execution scheduler will consider the
affinity when scheduling the thread but won't take it as gospel.
Sometimes running on the non-preferred hardware is simply the right
thing to do.  If users *need* to schedule specific shows for
specific capture cards, then maybe that should be available as an
override or as a component of the original recording rule.  Think
of it as a hardware variant of the "reschedule higher priorities"
option -- scheduling becomes a best-effort task that brings with it
some risks.  Let the user decide whether it's better to have
unresolved conflicts or recordings made on non-preferred tuners.

The other solution (again) is to record in fragments and then
either stitch them together in post-processing or else have
playback code that can sequence fragments without hiccups.  Yes,
that means you actually have to export (transcode) shows if you
want to watch them on a non-Myth system, but again I'd suggest that
being able to record shows is more important than being able to
bypass the export step.

I understand that there is an issue with remote back-ends, but we
are talking about only a few minutes worth of data and computers
that are generally on a high-speed wired network connection.  If
you have enough bandwidth to watch TV on a remote frontend then you
probably have enough to spool recorded data from a tuner on one
backend into a recording file on a different backend.

As an almost related aside, it would be interesting to see how Myth
behaves in an OpenMosix environment.

> how can data from two different types of encoders get written to
> the same file?

Another way to phrase that question is: "if I knew that data could
come from multiple tuners is there any way I could write a program
that was able to transcode the data so it had a consistent format?"

The main argument against recording in fragments is that some
people want to be able to copy a monolithic file to another machine
for non-Myth playback and don't want to have to export the file
first.  While I understand the convenience that offers *to those
people*, I'm not very sympathetic.  Do you think the MySQL people
seriously considered storing the SQL data in ASCII files so people
could view it using vi?  The point is that from a purist
perspective an application should try to maximize its own potential
before giving up performance for the benefit of external (and often
unrelated) applications.