[mythtv-users] Intro & question

Perry Gilfillan perrye at gilfillan.org
Sat Jul 29 23:24:04 UTC 2006

Aaron Howard wrote:
> 3) What's with S-Video anyway?  I thought it used 6 pins but it seems
> most S-Video devices (and cables) are only 4-pin.  Anybody got the scoop
> on that?

I've been looking into this to get tv-out from an nVidia Corporation
NV28 [GeForce4 Ti 4200 AGP 8x], and found this page for the TV encoder
used on another nVidia card that I can hold in my hands at the moment (
GeForce2 Pro ):

http://www.chrontel.com/products/7007.htm

If there are more than four pins the application is out of spec.  Most
of the time the four contacts in the standard positions carry
chrominance and luminance as expected.

A good example would be the PVR-350 tv-out dongle that has S-Video,
Composite, and audio.

The Chrontel page has several application notes.  The docs about
"Composite & S-Video in single connector" show that four pins are all
that is needed, but consideration must be made in the board layout and
in software.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

Cheers,