[mythtv-users] MythTV as a windowed app?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 18:00:08 UTC 2006

Hi,
   I've never run across the need before but it seems with MythTV-0.19
the CPU usage requirements have gone up a bit and now one of my
underpowered machines is really not very happy running Myth when the
desktop resolution is set to 1280x1024. I'm seeing a lot of jerkiness
in the video that I never saw with Myth-0.18.

   While investigating the problem I found that if I severely lowered
the screen resolution down to 800x600 then things worked about as well
as they used to with Myth-0.18. It seems to me that this might mean
that the local CPU has to rescale the video from whatever the
recording is to the screen resolution and the new version is placing
somewhat higher requirements that my slow CPUs cannot handle. Is this
correct at all?

   My question is how can I best configure Myth-0.19 to not have this problem?

   One thought I had was to be able to run Myth as a truly windowed
app. I've never run in anything except full screen mode. If this is
possible then I'd like to understand how to run Myth in a window of
800x600 while the screen is at 1280x1024.

   Maybe there are other ways folks have discovered to make this more efficient?

   Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Mark