[mythtv-users] MythGames....games.

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sat Jul 29 17:45:49 UTC 2006

On Jul 29, 2006, at 2:15 AM, Bruce Nordstrand wrote:

> Chris Henderson wrote:
>>

>> On 7/29/06, *Bruce Nordstrand* <brucen at ksl.com.au
>> <mailto:brucen at ksl.com.au>> wrote:
>>
>>     Howdy all
>>
>>     Having not ventured into the world of game emulators before, I am
>>     wondering what it is all about. I have read about all the
>> emulator
>>     "engines" and roms etc, but have no idea how to get the game
>> roms to
>>     play? Are they free or do you have to pay for them? I am having
>>     visions
>>     of Galaga that I played when I was young and would like to try
>> it out.
>>
>>     Sorry for such a noob question, but it has been bugging me...
>>
>>     Cheers
>>     Bruce
>>

>> Hi Bruce,
>>
>> I have recently got mythgame working.
>>
>> The first thing to do is to RTFM (sorry), so head over to the mythtv
>> wiki. It has a whole section on setting up the emulators etc.
>>
>> Ok, your questions.
>> Game roms, these are available online free. MOSTLY. Actually i am
>> unsure of the legality of the sites, but it is a pritty easy process.
>> Google is your friend.
>>
>> the emulators are available for most everything, PS one, MAME
>> (galaga), Nintendo etc. And most are available from ATRPMS so you can
>> just apt-get install or yum install
>>
>> There are a couple of gottcha's but it is pretty well worked out now
>> if i can do it.
>>
>> The trick was to go and read the fffff manual. I didn't, thinking i
>> knew better and could not get it to work. fixed what i missed and the
>> tried again. I mostly worked this time and the answer was to do with
>> the way my system was setup.
>>
>> The MAME roms are actually zip files, you don't unzip them the
>> emulator will do that for you. I think the biggest thing that brings
>> ppl unstuck is the don't define the /path/to/my/roms/well/enough
>> (hint, hint)
>>
>> All in all it is pretty easy and my WAF went out of site when she
>> could play packman. Go figure. Also you can by all the buttons and
>> joysticks online really cheap.
>> I did and I am making a "lap-board" for the wife so she can
>> connect it
>> to the box via USB and go for her life.
>>
>> Seeing you started this thread, i might ask a question as well.
>>
>> Has anyone successfully got the game "Dragons lair" running. My wife
>> is bugging me about it. It the cartoon one, where you used the
>> spinning ball etc.
>>
>> CH
>>
> Thanks Chris
>
> Ummm, I have been reading up on setting up MythGame mainly due to the
> fact the the Player Name bit was confusing :) As yet I haven't got any
> emulators yet as I have been installing / reinstalling Myth too
> many time.
>
> Thanks for the headup on Google, I'll check it out. I already have a
> joystick and a steering wheel setup for a PC.

> [...]

Regarding legality of ROMS.. as I understand it, only games that have
been since released in the public domain can be legally downloaded.
There has been argument that if you owned the original game (and are
still in possession of the original game), then downloading the ROM
now is ok because it can be considered a backup. However, that sounds
a little far-fetched for me. How many of us ever owned an actual
arcade game? That being said.. google turns up a bunch, but mostly
sites that launch a bunch of windows with porn on you. Browse safely.