[mythtv-users] Question on Capture Card and Sound Card

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jul 29 06:57:05 UTC 2006

On 07/29/2006 02:15 AM, Joel Davis wrote:
> I've been running MythTV with Fedora 5 on an old Dell box (1.7 GHz)
> using an old Hauppauge WinTV card and a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound
> card.  I am pretty happy with it but I am thinking about upgrading my
> hardware a little.  I am considering the Hauppauge PVR-150 or
> Hauppauge PVR-250.  I haven't been able to see a major difference
> between the two.  What makes the 250 better than the 150?

It does a better job of keeping your house warm on cold winter nights.  ;)

In reality, the PVR-150 is better than the PVR-250.  It's a
newer-generation card built from fewer components and built to use 3.3V
PCI (instead of 5V), so it's cheaper /and/ it takes less power.

Driver support for the PVR-250 is slightly better (although current
versions of the drivers have narrowed the gap significantly).  I
wouldn't buy a PVR-250 at this point.  So, my recommendation is to save
some money and buy the better card (the PVR-150).

> Also, occasionally the sound from my Santa Cruz card sounds very
> metallic.  I can correct this by exiting MythTV and firing it back up
> but this is obviously not desirable.  I am thinking about getting a
> Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1 card to replace it.  Have people had
> luck with this card?

I've used the SB Live! and SB Live! Value.  Both work well (but can be
configured to give problems :).

Mike