[mythtv-users] What FCC ruling requires OTA digital unencrypted?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jul 28 17:02:07 UTC 2006

On 07/28/06 11:20, Cory Papenfuss wrote:

>	According to what I've read around here, the FCC ruling requires
>that OTA-receivable signals are provided unencrypted, no?  Can anyone cite
>chapter and verse of the ruling that requires it so I can go bust some
>heads with tech support?

The FCC hasn't yet made a ruling on whether to require the unencrypted
transmission of DTV broadcast signals on cable lines.  However, there is
a ruling in place requiring cable companies to transmit OTA-receivable
SDTV channels unencrypted.

The content producers claim that DTV is far more subject to piracy than
"low-quality" analog transmissions, so it must /not/ be transmitted
unencrypted.  I assume they figure enough people lack the ability to
receive OTA DTV broadcasts that they will concentrate only on cable and
satellite systems for now.

Some cable companies are extending the analog ruling to also apply to
HDTV, but there's no requirement that they do so, yet.

The EFF is still working the issue:
http://www.eff.org/IP/Video/HDTV/fnprm_comments.php and
http://www.eff.org/IP/broadcastflag/ (see the section "The FCC's
Broadcast Flag Proceedings", which says the issue is still open).

Mike