[mythtv-users] Close captioning with a PVR-150

Mark Covington markcov at alumni.rice.edu
Thu Jul 27 15:59:49 UTC 2006

Quoting Carl Fongheiser <carlfongheiser at gmail.com>:
> On 7/27/06, Mark Covington <markcov at alumni.rice.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Carl,
>> Can you provide any suggestions on how to get VBI data under ivtv
>> 0.7.0 with a PVR-500?  I'm running 0.7.0 but haven't been able to grab
>> captioning data.  I've been up and down the mythtv-dev and ivtv-dev
>> lists on gossamer and there's little information there.
>>
>> When I try to activate the cc passthrough I get
>>
>> $ ivtvctl -w cc -d /dev/video0
>> ioctl IVTV_IOC_S_VBI_PASSTHROUGH failed: Invalid argument
>

> What does "ivtvctl -m" give you?
>
> Also, if you've set up closed captioning in mythtv for NTSC, you shouldn't
> have to do anything else.
>
> Carl Fongheiser

$ ivtvctl -m
ioctl VIDIOC_QUERYCAP ok
         Driver name   : ivtv
         Card type     : WinTV PVR 500 (unit #1)
         Bus info      : 0000:02:08.0
         Driver version: 1792
         Capabilities  : 0x01070051

mysql> select * from settings where value="VbiFormat";
| value     | data                | hostname |
| VbiFormat | NTSC Closed Caption | shuttle  |

The recorded programs show the CC icon on the frontend as though they
think CC data has been recorded, but none is ever displayed.  Decoding
is done through software, no hardware decoders.

Mark