[mythtv-users] Close captioning with a PVR-150

Mark Covington markcov at alumni.rice.edu
Thu Jul 27 15:18:50 UTC 2006

Quoting Carl Fongheiser <carlfongheiser at gmail.com>:
> On 7/20/06, Ivan Kowalenko <ivan.kowalenko at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> That's because CC on the '150 isn't supported yet. Don't know if
>> that's because the '150 is incapable of exporting VBI data like that,
>> or if it's just not coded yet.
>
> Only sort of true.
> It's fully supported for PAL.
> It's supported for NTSC in ivtv 0.4.6.
> It's not supported for NTSC in ivtv 0.6.3.
> It is supported in ivtv 0.7.0.
> Clear as mud, isn't it? :-)
>
> Carl Fongheiser

Carl,
Can you provide any suggestions on how to get VBI data under ivtv
0.7.0 with a PVR-500?  I'm running 0.7.0 but haven't been able to grab
captioning data.  I've been up and down the mythtv-dev and ivtv-dev
lists on gossamer and there's little information there.

When I try to activate the cc passthrough I get

$ ivtvctl -w cc -d /dev/video0
ioctl IVTV_IOC_S_VBI_PASSTHROUGH failed: Invalid argument

Anything you can provide would be helpful,

Mark