[mythtv-users] What does Myth *really* require in terms ofwindowingr?

Eric Ladner eric.ladner at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 14:35:41 UTC 2006

Hmm..  That's a good idea.  You could have a diskless frontend server that
booted off of a Bootable USB pen drive.  Those easily go to 4GB now-a-days.
I should think it would be pretty easy to install a minimal FC5 distro,
compile MythTV on a full FC5 box somewhere else, look at the library
requirements, and bundle all that stuff up on the USB pen drive (including
gnome, etc. for the window manager).

That should easily be smaller than 4Gig.  It eliminates a heat source, a
noise source and some of the power requirements from the front end (namely,
the hard drive).  Of course, it'd be slower to boot because of reduced I/O
bandwidth (the flash card, not the USB channel), but how often do you really
reboot your Myth box anyway?

Eric

On 7/26/06, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Ah but what about a frontend that just plays recordings with a
> > remote(different machine) backend that does all the recordings?
> >
> You are correct.
>
> And when I think of it my example is not exactly the same situation as
> in my work I need the whole thing loaded in memory at once but with
> mythtv we only need to keep up with the bitrate. However, if we are
> talking about disk space on the backend and not memory I think I can
> say that my example applies...

Eric Ladner