[mythtv-users] DVB-T in Australia - a quick question

Philip Shead drinnen at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jul 27 12:35:47 UTC 2006

Tim Potter wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 11:59 +1000, Rick Sauer wrote:
>> 4. Do the Hybrid cards have the MPEG2 chips for encoding?

> Yes, since the analogue signal needs to be encoded to a digital signal.

   Since nobody else seems to have corrected this I will. Most
hybride cards do NOT include an onboard encoder, they use
the CPU to do software encoding. There is at least one
the Hauppauge HVR1300 but not well supported under linux)
and I thought avermedia brought one out but haven't really
looked for it. THings like the winfast DTV2000H, variously
rebadged kworld cards and the HVR1100 do NOT include
a hardware encoder.