[mythtv-users] is mythtv smart enough to do this (overlap/back-to-back) with recordings?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Thu Jul 27 00:23:43 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 02:32:40PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> So, I record two back-to-back shows.  I watch the 2nd show--which
> contains a bit of the end of the first show.  When I'm done with the
> second show, I delete it.  Then, later, I go back to watch the first
> show and get to the end.  It has a "successor", so I tell it to continue
> playing the successor, but it's been deleted (or autoexpired).

Yup, this could happen.  The approach I describe is simply a fair
bit less work, and no wasted disk space.

Roughly in order of how much work they would be, I would estimate:

    a) Grouping adjacent shows into chains (as program groups or similar)
       to allow movement among them.

    b) During the overlap zone, starting the 2nd program, and writing
       the stream out to both the current file and the 2nd program's
       file (wastes some disk space)

    c) Adding a level of indirection, so any program consists of
       a series of cuts from files on disk.  Then writting the overlap
       into its own file, etc.   Segments must have reference counts
       to delete when all references are gone.  (or just use unix
       hard links)

Now (c) is the most work but offers some interesting potentials such as:

    a) Having long 'tails' on all programs -- even hour long tails on
       sports, and deleting just the tail from the disk, or truncating
       part of the tail -- perhaps when you get word of when the show
       actually ended.

    b) Cutlist editing actually breaking the file up into chunks, so
       you can watch it with or without the commercials (and then later
       delete the commercials easily.)

> second show, but this time, I actually remember not to delete it.  Then
> I watch the first show and follow the end to the successor.  Then, I
> finish the end of the first (in the second show's file) and delete.

Of course, in my view, delete should not actually delete, just move
the file to the top of the auto-expire queue, where it will be
deleted eventually.  Gives you some period of undo for delete, though
not so much if you are very full.

> Also, I /never/ have any idea when a show is recorded.  (That's the
> beauty of MythTV--it knows the schedule so I don't have to.)  I don't
> know if the show I just watched followed another show.  I often see the

For me the main overlap I get is TDS/Colbert Report, and you definitely
know they are adjacent.