[mythtv-users] is mythtv smart enough to do this (overlap/back-to-back) with recordings?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jul 26 18:32:40 UTC 2006

On 07/26/06 13:59, Brad Templeton wrote:

>Here's a way you could code it.   Add two columns to the recorded
>table for the unique ID of any 'predecessor' and 'successor' program
>which were recorded from the same channel immediately before or after.
>
>Then, when a program reaches the end, and has a successor program,
>have the option to have play continue in the successor.
>
>Plus, when rewinding, if you hit the beginning of a show that
>has a predecessor program, offer the option to continue rewinding
>into the successor (from its end.)

So, I record two back-to-back shows.  I watch the 2nd show--which
contains a bit of the end of the first show.  When I'm done with the
second show, I delete it.  Then, later, I go back to watch the first
show and get to the end.  It has a "successor", so I tell it to continue
playing the successor, but it's been deleted (or autoexpired).

So, you say, well, why did you delete the second show if you knew it had
a bit of the end of the first?  OK, so does that mean I now have to find
out whether part of another show exists in my recording before I delete it?

Alright, so let's say you've convinced me to do this.  I watch the
second show, but this time, I actually remember not to delete it.  Then
I watch the first show and follow the end to the successor.  Then, I
finish the end of the first (in the second show's file) and delete.
Then, I have to go back to find the first show to delete it.  But, if
Myth is smart enough to follow the succession, then it could delete it.
But, if I have three back-to-back shows, where the first didn't end in
the second, will it know not to delete the first because I've only
watched the 2nd and 3rd?

Also, I /never/ have any idea when a show is recorded.  (That's the
beauty of MythTV--it knows the schedule so I don't have to.)  I don't
know if the show I just watched followed another show.  I often see the
end of a show I recorded in another of my recordings, but later find out
that it was the end of another showing because the end isn't cut off in
my recording.

The right answer:  more capture cards allow you to record more stuff...

Mike