[mythtv-users] is mythtv smart enough to do this (overlap/back-to-back) with recordings?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Jul 26 17:59:03 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 05:50:56PM +0100, Paul Wheeler wrote:
> I have for a long time wanted something like this. However i think the
> difficulty comes in 'splicing' the overlapping time. From my
> understanding of the various formats this would be difficult on all
> non mpg2 recordings and even on mpg2 recordings (where i believe you
> can join together by literally 'cat'ing the files together) you then
> have issues about how much of the file do you 'paste' on to the end of
> the first recording as this will be a variable size (iirc mpg2 uses
> variable bitrates).
>
> It is these problems that unfortunately make a very simple idea
> extremely non trivial as such i have never looked into it at all or
> asked others about it as it is extremely unlikely anyone will have the
> time/effort to code it up for what is a minor 'defect'.

Here's a way you could code it.   Add two columns to the recorded
table for the unique ID of any 'predecessor' and 'successor' program
which were recorded from the same channel immediately before or after.

Then, when a program reaches the end, and has a successor program,
have the option to have play continue in the successor.

Plus, when rewinding, if you hit the beginning of a show that
has a predecessor program, offer the option to continue rewinding
into the successor (from its end.)