[mythtv-users] Switch to enable "TiVO" like experience? WAS Re: mythtv keeping recordings of everything i watch?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Jul 26 17:50:19 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 09:25:43AM +0100, Justin Hornsby wrote:
> > Has anyone worked on, or thought of working on enabling this type of
> > behavior with a toggle button to turn it on and off?  There have been
> > a handful of times that this would have been useful to me.  I think
> > with the way LiveTV is handled now, it would be a lot easier to
> > integrate something like this since it would be a simple change of
> > recording group basically is what the toggle would 'change', call it
> > something like "Continue recording last program during menu exit" or
> > something like that.
> >
> > Hmmm...
> >
> > I can definitely see a lot of pitfalls with this too though.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>

> Continue recording current show when you exit? ... press R before you
> exit.  I expect a lot of people will give the same answer.

No, in this case that's the wrong answer.  Ideally a system never loses
data because you forget to do something, or press a key by accident, if
it can readily avoid this.

While many programs give you an annoying "do you really want to quit"
dialog if you don't hit the key to save, better programs just save in a
way that causes no harm and don't have to ask.

Myth could automatically keep recording, and put a time limit on it
like 30 minutes, reset if you come back to live tv within that time.

I have various function keys that go to menus (also set on my remote, though
I am mostly a keyboard guy.)  If I watched much live tv, I would always be
watching it delayed a bit, and would get very annoyed if I accidentially
pressed one of the macro buttons on the remote and lost the show.