[mythtv-users] is mythtv smart enough to do this with recordings?

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Wed Jul 26 17:33:42 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 10:31:57AM -0400, George Nychis wrote:
> If I set the first show to end 1 minute late, and I have only 1 tuner,
> is mythtv smart enough to put the 6:00pm-6:01pm minute into both recordings?

No.

It all comes down to the same design choice we discussed a week or
two ago when talking about how live TV buffers can wipe out half
your hard drive if you leave it tuned to a channel that has no
program data: the original decision to handle each recording as a
monolithic file has imposed all kinds of limitations on the system
but to go back and fix that now would be a lot of work because
everything that came after was built with that same assumption.

Had Myth been designed from the beginning to record into small
files and join them during playback then a lot of the requested
features would be trivial to impliment instead of being nearly
impossible, yours included.