[mythtv-users] Optimal capture resolution for DVD burning

JCA 1.41421 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 13:43:42 UTC 2006

    I am currently capturing the video signal from my TV at a 720x480
resolution. This resolution is set in two places; first, by means of
the ivtvctl command on my WinTV PVR-150 board, and also in the
mythfrontend configuration. This works fine. The only problem is that
the resulting data occupies a lot of disk space: A three hour show
takes up some 7 GB.

    What I want to do is to capture material and then burn it to a
DVD. I understand that capturing at 720x480 is overkill, for
broadcasts in the US do not have that resolution. My question would
therefore be, What capture resolution should I use, if I want to burn
the resulting material to DVD to be watched on a 32" or larger TV,
while keeping the best quality without wasting space? The ideal
solution would be one that minimizes the processing of the captured
material for burning to DVD - currently I only have to replex the MPEG
files created by MythTV, in order to obtain output MPEG files that I
can directly feed to dvdauthor for the creation of the DVD burning
file hierarchy.