[mythtv-users] DVB-T in Australia - a quick question

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Jul 26 02:52:29 UTC 2006

Looks good.  I am using an older single channel fusion dvb-t with no
problems for digital (nice card) I didnt get the analog input working
properly (foxtel), so I put in an older analog card and am using its
analog input (will have to set up the tuner side someday!) - it does
take a fair bit of processing power compared to digital on the fusion.
I think my original analog problem was connector types, so I could
probably use the fusion analog, except I would now lose the dual record
capability.

1g of ram is excessive for myth use - I have 1 g and it rarely uses more
than half, so it might even be feasible to do away with swap.
I used to use a 1.4 athlon-tbird and found it borderline and flakey,
same software install (gentoo, rebuilt in situ) is now on an athlon-64
and is much more reliable (no crashes etc)

5200 card I am using is fine.

75 GB (80Gb - 5Gb system) + 300Gb giving ~360Gb for recordings LVM is
borderline.  For gentoo, another couple of GB on the system partition
(which is not LVM unfortunately) would be nice.  Have to spend time
deleting recordings - my backlog of what I (and the family) want to
watch normally means I am running at least ~75% full all the time, which
doesnt leave much headroom.  I should look into auto-transcoding the
mpeg2's into something a bit more space efficient when I have the time -
but I *do* love the quality, even though I use a cheap plasma TV!

BillK