[mythtv-users] Firewire fleeting on SA3250HD

Allan Wilson allanwilson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 23:27:05 UTC 2006

On 7/25/06, Joel Turner <jturner421 at aol.com> wrote:

> greg at gregandeva.net wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 15:06 -0600, John P Poet wrote:
> >

> >I've got a Motorola box rather than an SA box, but some people have
> reported success with the same box I have.
> >I think the Linux firewire driver is really not ready for prime time
> >yet.
> >
> I haven't been following the thread too closely but I have a Motorola
> DCT6200 and had varying success with Firewire capture.  I had set it up
> as a tuner and was able to schedule recordings off of it although at
> times captures displayed artifiacts on playback. Ultimately I abandoned
> it because as you noted it's not reliable (had to reset 2 to 3 times a
> week) and there was no way to deal with recording conflicts
> automatically which was discussed in more detail here:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/209902#209902

I know exactly what you are saying but I will throw this out there and it is
what I kept hearing when I was setting it up, once you get it working it is
worth it because it is cheap and for most people it works until you restart
the box or the backend. With that said I was in the same boat as you and
about to give up but two things really helped me, one was a TV with firewire
inputs so I could test the cable box out real well and the other was read
all I could on the firewire modules. I had a real hard time loading them up
in order and to begin with I left some out. It doesn't sound like that is
your problem but right now it is real hard to troubleshoot because there is
so many places that can cause it not to work. What we really need is a
better way to work with it so that you can make sure that firewire setup
properly, talking to cable box, getting good data, and displaying quality
data. I'm sure those tools will mature as this becomes more popular but for
now we have to do it the hard way. Hope you figure out what is going on and
if I can do anything to help let me know.

Allan