[mythtv-users] XvMC Prebuffering Pauses

Trey Boudreau trey at treysoft.com
Tue Jul 25 13:03:03 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 11:09:11PM -0500, Brian Foddy wrote:
> On Monday 24 July 2006 08:10 pm, Calin Brabandt wrote:
>
> > I too have had problems with 720p.  It's strange that
> > the "estimated bitrate" is higher for 1080i as it's
> > not necessarily the case, in practice.  My reception
> > (OTA or QAM) of ABC and FOX has the HIGHEST bitrates
> > (~ 18 mbps to 19 mbps)  NBC is only about 15 mbps and
> > CBS slightly less.  PBS is a measly 10.5 mbps.

> My working theory is I need to fool Myth into thinking its got
> a 8GB/hr bitrate, so it sizes the buffers everything accordingly.
> Maybe far off base...

I have suspected for a while that Myth mis-calculates the bitrate for
certain HD streams, but haven't had time to hunt down any proof.  I've
got a 720p display and an Athlon 64 X2 4400+ machine with 1GB of RAM,
100Mb ethernet, and a NVIDIA FX 5200.  With that much horsepower I
should never have non-network induced pre-buffer pauses.

> Brian

-- Trey