[mythtv-users] us-cable users who specified finetune values, please help...

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jul 24 23:21:40 UTC 2006

On 07/24/06 17:54, glenn at grouphechler.com wrote:

>My problem was that the frequency table in the database was wrong.  For
>some reason quite a few channels had bad values resulting in fuzzy
>picture, no sound or the system thinking there was no signal on that
>channel.  I had used zap2it to set things up so I don't know if that will
>clue you in on what happened.  I simply hacked the database and fixed all
>the frequencies to the standard numbers.

Actually, I need the information that would be output by the queries I
posted ( http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/215136#215136 ).

I know what values are incorrect in the frequency tables.  I know by how
much they are off.  What I don't know is whether all hardware in use by
Myth users can automatically fine-tune for affected channels on cable
systems using a negative offset or whether the 62.5kHz frequency step
combined with a small negative offset and truncation results in
untunable channels requiring a finetune value.

In other words, if you're using the us-cable frequency table and you've
specified any finetune values, /please/ run the given queries and post
their output.  Otherwise, we'll add a new frequency table (whether it's
needed or not), and I'll leave it up to you all to explain the
difference between 'us-cable-1' and 'us-cable-2' (or 'us-cable-positive'
and 'us-cable-negative) when people ask about these "non-standard"
frequency tables that don't exist in any other application they've ever
used.

If I can prove the need for the new frequency table, I'll add it /and/
explain why it's been added and how to decide which table to use.  :)

Thanks,
Mike