[mythtv-users] Motorola 6200 firewire high def artifacts - Help me debug?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 22:54:50 UTC 2006

On 7/24/06, Andrew Casper <andrew at casper.net> wrote:
> My system does see a CPU spike as the errors are happening and just as the
> backend crashes.
>
> I know you were looking into this a few months ago. Was there ever a
> resolution? Was there a kernel or buffer issue?

Jim Westfall said that there was a kernel driver issue that caused
buffer overflows and cpu usage spikes. it doesn't seem to affect
everyone though. MythTV adds on top of this due to some code issues
that add even more cpu time required on top of it which means MythTV
records off firewire with more errors than test-mpeg2. From my
understanding SVN is supposed to have the MythTV side of things fixed,
but I don't know if the kernel driver issues have been solved.

so basically, its hit or miss depending on hardware. From what I
understand the SB Audigy cards have firewire implementation that works
fine, other than that card I I wasn't able to find any meaningful
consensus.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!