[mythtv-users] Sanity check before I upgrade

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Jul 24 16:45:41 UTC 2006

David Whyte wrote:
> On 7/24/06, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2) Use mysqldump to export the complete mythconverg database.
>>

>> 6) Import the mysql dump I took in step 2.
>>

> So long as you use the same versions of mythtv, this sounds like a
> decent strategy.  Obvisouly, if you jump revisions, the DB schema
> could have changed.

You might as well go directly to Fedora 5. It's fine aand you get a much
newer kernel with newer amd much better modules included.

After getting your cards installed and tested, do the mysql import. Then
do the mythtv install (backend and frontend the same version).
Then run mythtv setup. Since the kernel modules and ivtv have changed so
much, you will probably have to delete all cards and re-install them.
That will not affect the mysql tables you really want to keep.

Only then should you run mythbackend. It will query the database and
will do a schema update (if that has not already been done by
mythtv-setup). In your case it may take quite a while due to the large
number of schema changes.

Geoff