[mythtv-users] Sanity check before I upgrade

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Jul 24 10:12:12 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 04:22:24PM +1000, Shanon Mulley wrote:
> On 7/24/06, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Is there any particular reason why your going to FC4 rather then FC5?
> > > (I recently rebuilt my machine after it died mysteriously - previously
> > > FC4, rebuilt as FC5 without to many problems, except a few I made up
> > > myself.
> >
> > Two reasons. Some people seem to haved had probs w FC5. But more
> > importantly, the MythTV setup bible aka Jarod's guide is based on FC4.
> >
> Oh, ok. I'm a bit of a linux newbie (less then a year now), and I had
> no problems with FC5 (Well - no problems that I didnt encounter with
> FC4). Of course, I cant see any obvious imediate benefit to using FC5,
> besides hopfully putting off a system upgrade in the future.

FC4 is scheduled to go into maintenance mode very soon. And currently
FC4 and FC5 are kernel-wise almost identical, so whatever hits you on
FC5 does so on FC4, too.

Since the pain is the same I'd recommend going FC5. You will postpone
a future upgrade for 6-9 months.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net