[mythtv-users] Companion to "Max episodes" setting...

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Sun Jul 23 18:38:26 UTC 2006

One of the problems I have with the current system of recording
priorities and auto-expire methods is that it's fairly rigid in the
way it ranks shows.  People's opinion of the relative value of
recordings is a little more variable.

For example, "The Simpsons" and "South Park" both run several
different episodes every day.  If my recording rules had anything
but the lowest priority then they wold dominate the schedule and
anything else having a lower priority would never get recorded.  In
the absense of a maximum episodes limit, they would hog all the
disk space.

The fact that they are so common and so easy to record means I want
to record them as a "last resort" capture, but that doesn't mean
they are of such little value that I want them to all be
auto-expired.  For example, I always record movies at a fairly high
priority.  Each movie would cause 4 to 6 episodes of "South Park"
to be expired.  If I was running the system in a "drive full" state
(as Dean says we should) then I could go from a system full of
"South Park" to having no episodes at all in a single day, assuming
the right movies came along.  As the number of episodes gets
smaller and smaller, the relative value of that recording becomes a
little higher.

The solution to that problem would be to have a "min episodes"
setting for each rule as well.  That would tell the auto-expire
routine "when there are only X episodes of this show left, they are
no longer elegible for auto-expire".

Part of the justification for this is that movies will always be
more valuable than cartoons if you have a hard drive full of
cartoons, but eventually you end up with a drive full of movies and
no cartoons, and their relative value is inverted.  You don't
always have time to watch a full-length movie, and it would be nice
to be able to guarantee a certain amount of mindless entertainment
for when you've got 30 minutes to kill.