[mythtv-users] [mythtv] Video lags behind audio

En Ming Teo mr_teo_en_ming at yahoo.com.sg
Sun Jul 23 17:54:53 UTC 2006

ah...I forgot that I read somewhere that whatever amount of memory you add to your computer, linux will try to use up almost all of your physical memory, leaving only a few MB of physical mem free.

nevertheless, I would still like to add on more ram for my system so that swapping will not be used..

I have increased my ram from 512 MB to 768 MB and I will do a final increase to 1024 MB or 1 GB.

"Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote: On 07/18/2006 11:10 PM, En Ming Teo wrote:

> Finally, I looked at Machine Status. It tells me I have only about 20+
> MB of Physical RAM left. Looks like I have to add more ram to my computer.

Probably not important.  Linux kernels use available RAM as a
buffer/cache for data being read or written to external devices (network
interfaces, disks, etc.), so you're very unlikely to have lots of
Physical RAM left...  After all, unused RAM is a waste of money.

 From my Myth box:

$ free
Mem:        515964     508432       7532          0      40192     272244
-/+ buffers/cache:     195996     319968
Swap:       506036     287740     218296

Says that over 500MiB of 512MiB were used leaving about 7MiB free.
However, of that memory, ~40MiB is used for buffers and ~270MiB is used
for cache.  Since buffers and cache can be cleared without paging, that
means that I have over 300MiB that's truly free (as shown on the second
line of output) and only about 190MiB of RAM in use by applications).

Oh, as for the swap line, I have set a relatively aggressive swappiness
on my box because if I ain't using the app, why waste memory on it...

Mike