[mythtv-users] Dolby 5.1 SPDIF Passthrough Audio

Brandon Rogers blrogers at ieee.org
Sat Jul 22 04:40:03 UTC 2006

All,

            I have had my mythbox (2.8 GHz HT Pentium 4, pcHDTV 3000,
optical 5.1 passthrough audio) running for some time and have found a few
quirks that I wonder if anyone has come across and possibly a solution.

-          My sound is being passed through to an external surround sound
receiver.  When 5.1 audio is sent to the receiver, the sound is not
immediately detected as 5.1 audio (no sound at all until I switch back and
forth a few times between inputs and eventually 5.1 will come on).  After
the 5.1 sound comes on, the audio is perfect, without problems, until a
commercial comes on without 5.1 audio or something of the like.  Then the
switching process has to re-done until the sound is detected as Dolby
Digital 5.1.  The sound is connected via optical SPDIF.  Non-"Dolby Digital
5.1" signals come of the wire without a problem.  When a hardware DVD player
is connected to the receiver, the surround sound is immediately detected and
there are no problems.  Does anyone know of a problem of ALSA / MythTV to
properly "alert" the receiver of incoming 5.1 signals?  Any one else have
any ideas what this could be and why this could be happening?

If I didn't make sense anywhere, please let me know.

Thanks,

Brandon