[mythtv-users] Dup detection broken in some cases - how to fix?

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Sat Jul 22 00:14:00 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 02:00:14PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Once again, I think the record too much is a better plan.  If you have
> "broken" guide data, you can prevent the recordings by marking the
> episode (on one channel) "Never Record".

One of the big features of Myth is that it's supposed to
automatically manage the recordings, both in terms of selecting
when to record a show and when to delete it.  If I have to manually
cull the upcoming recordings list, write custom rules for
everything and/or sift through piles of "extra" recordings to
manually delete the dupes then most of the "It Just Works" factor
is lost.

Although we've been talking about punctuation in terms of dupe
checking, it also has a negative impact in the searches, too.  For
example, one day I saw "Back to the Future, Part III" in the guide
and tagged it for recording.  At some later date the Zap2It listing
was changed to "Back to the Future Part III" (without the comma)
and the recording was therefore dropped from the list when Myth got
it's "tommorow's data" update.  In this case ignoring punctuation
was erring in favour of recording too little instead of too much.

Whether we're searching or matching dupes, there is little reason
to believe that a single comma would be the defining difference
between two unique shows.