[mythtv-users] Replicated MySQL database, dynamic 'master' backend....?

Andrew Wilson migmog at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 10:43:21 UTC 2006

I have the following setup:

BoxB: Diskless backend with capture cards in a cupboard
BoxF: Diskless frontend connected to TV and Hifi in the living room
BoxN: Low power embedded NAS with big disk, boot server, NFS storage, up 24/7

Goals:
- Reduce power consumption: Currently using ~77W when watching
recordings, ~47W when recording, ~14W when idle. If BoxB was off when
watching, I'd save ~32W.
- Make boxes independent so BoxF does not have to wake up BoxB and
wait until it's ready.

Ideally I'd have the BoxN as master backend and database server as it
is the only box that needs to be up when either of the other two are
doing anything, as it is the only disk in the system. However, it's an
emedded NAS, and I don't think it has enough horsepower to run mysql
and mythbackend even if I did manage to get it compiled and running.

Currently, BoxF has to wake BoxB whenever it needs to do something,
and I'm left staring at a blank screen for about a minute while BoxB
boots. It would be nice if BoxB did not have to be up when BoxF wants
to access recordings. I don't use LiveTV due to slow channel changing,
but if that were to improve, I'd settle for BoxB being up for live TV
;-)

Is it possible to have 'mirrored' MySQL databases and backend process
running on BoxF?  I figure the BoxF backend would have to be the
'master' while BoxB is down, and vice versa. There's no problem about
the boxes seeing each others files, because there's really only 1 fs
shared between the whole network.

Has anyone tried this?

Andrew