[mythtv-users] 2.6.17.6 + 0.7.0 + 0.19 works!

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Fri Jul 21 07:04:33 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 07:36:47PM -0700, .. at cpr.. wrote:
> I downloaded Linux 2.6.17.6 and ivtv 0.7.0 but can't get them to work
> together at all (yet).  The kernel builds and runs just fine, but when I
> make and install ivtv I get the following:

I solved that problem, and am now able to record using Linux
2.6.17.6, ivtv 0.7.0 and Myth 0.19.

The first problem was that ivtv 0.7.0 requires you to build the i2c
and v4l modules so that it can find the PVR-250 in the first place.

The other problem was that ivtv 0.7.0 no longer supplies the
saa7115 driver because they are removing modules in favour of the
Linux kernel v4l modules, but the 2.6.17.6 kernel now considers the
existing saa7115 driver to be obsolete because it doesn't conform
with the v4l2 spec.  What I had to do was go into the general
options (in "make menuconfig" for the kernel) and enable the switch
that allows for expirimental, buggy or obsolete drivers.  I then
went to the multimedia section and selected v4l1 (*real* v4l1, not
the v4l1 compatibility later for v4l2) and that enabled access to
the SAA7113/4/5 module in the encoder/decoder menu.

Perhaps someone who has a login account for the ivtv Wiki page can
update the 0.7.0 announcement and/or HOWTO so that it includes the
steps required to actually build 0.7.0.  The existing HOWTO is
based on 0.4.x and has workarounds for the 0.6.x module conflicts,
but I've been unable to find any mention of how to get 0.7.0
running.

Now if only I could get an Xorg driver to work for my XBox
front-end.  Right now the only way I can watch Myth recordings is
to play them using mplayer and then delete them with MythWeb....