[mythtv-users] Setting ALSA Sound

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 21:12:41 UTC 2006

On 7/20/06, Marcus <lists at wordit.com> wrote:
> How do I set the sound device correctly? I am using ALSA on a KDE
> desktop (Kubuntu Dapper).
>
> I know Myth will require a special setting itself later, but what is
> needed for just using "cat /dev/video0 > file.mpg". It needs to work
> from the command line first before I add the Myth settings.
>
> The card is a PVR-150. I can also watch live TV using "mplayer
> /dev/video0", but without sound. I have a picture, but no sound. The
> sound system does work otherwise though.
>

> Many Thanks,
>
> Marcus

Assuming a simple sound card run

alsamixer

at the command line, set levels, and most important, make sure the
inputs/outputs are not muted, which they are by default. Make sure you
bring up the PCM input.

After alsamixer is run you should hopefully have sound. Play with
alsamixer more to fine tune things.

hope this helps,
Mark