[mythtv-users] Converting mythtv capture to DVD

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jul 20 07:41:29 UTC 2006

On Jul 19, 2006, at 11:01 PM, JCA wrote:

>     I scheduled a recording with mythfrontend. Mythtv did the
> recording fine, creating an MPEG file. This file plays under mplayer
> in my Linux without problems.
>
>    Now I fed the MPEG file to dvdauthor, using a dvdauthor.xml file
> that I have successfully used numerous times to create VIDEO_TS
> directories to be burnt to a DVD, which can then be played without
> problems on ordinary DVD players.
>
>    The problem is that dvdauthor seems to be unable to process the
> MPEG file created by mythtv. It just prints out thousands of lines
> like the following:
>
> WARN: Skipping sector, waiting for first VOBU...
>
> And, occasionally, it prints out
>
> WARN: System header found, but PCI/DSI information is not where
> expected
>         (make sure your system header is 18 bytes!)
>
> The contents of the VIDEO_TS directory are of course not created.
>
>    I guess that this must be to do with the way in which I am
> capturing the video. So, how is mythtv configured so that the MPEG
> files it creates are correctly processed by dvdauthor? Or, failing
> that, how can these MPEG files be processed for dvdauthor?

The method I use is to utilize projectX to split up the file, them
use mplex to put it back together:

Then use dvdauthor in the normal manner:

dvdauthor -o DVD <file>.mpg  (additional .mpg files if needed)

dvdauthor -T -o DVD

Then burn the DVD directory structure with growisofs:

growisofs -Z /dev/<writer> -dvd-video DVD

I think you can use avidemux2 instead of projectX if you so desire.

This has worked well for me with both single and double layer disks.

But usually I just use mythburn from the mythweb interface, which I
believe does essentially the same thing with less typing on my part :-)

See the ArchiveRecordingsToDvdHowTo in the docs for further info.