[mythtv-users] Sound in recordings and livetv

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jul 19 19:01:58 UTC 2006

On 07/18/2006 06:49 PM, Nick wrote:

>On 18/07/06, wouter lists <wouter.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I have a weird problem. I have a X86_64 mythtv setup connected to an
>>external amplifier via spdif. The line-up is 5.1.
>>
>>If I use mplayer and play a mp3 file, I have sound on all my loudspeakers.
>>
>>If I open livetv, I only get sound in the front speaker. If I open the
>>recorded file in mplayer, I only get sound in the front speaker.
>>
>>I have used the example file in the mythtv documentation to get
>>/etc/asound.conf. I'm now outputting to digital-hw.

I hope to "digital" (digital-hw is /not/ for direct use).  See the
updated comments on the ALSA config file at
http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/DigitalSoundHowTo#Setting_up_ALSA.27s_.asoundrc.2C_Properly
.

>> I tried already the
>>other settings, but that doesn't make any difference.
>>

>What does your external amplfier describe the incoming audio signal
>from MythTV as?
>
>If you use ALSA:spdif or ALSA:iec958 as your MythTV playback device
>(and have AC3 passthrough enabled) does this improve things for
>LiveTV/recordings?

Yeah, it looks like the digital and mixed-digital configurations need
updating to work with AC-3 and DTS.  I'll probably get to that in
Sep/Oct timeframe.  Until then, "ALSA:iec958" should work (but may break
MythMusic or MythVideo output in some cases)...

Mike