[mythtv-users] Remote access to mythtv

Stuart Larson halcyon at obfus.com
Wed Jul 19 14:04:05 UTC 2006

This is somewhat related... I've got about 256K/b upstream on my DSL
connection.  Using VLC, I used the following settings to be able to stream
to my computer here (at work, hehe): Encapsulation ASF, Video Codec mp4v,
bitrate 96 kb/s, scale .5, audio codec a52, bitrate 64, 1 channel.  Also
adjusted TTL to 20 or so.  I'm not sure how this corresponds to
Mythstreamtv's setup (haven't used it myself) but I would think you could
set it this way?  VLC is able to open V4L devices, so I think you could
use it to transcode live TV.  Note at these settings the video is pretty
crappy.  You can tell what things are but there's not much definition at
all.  It also seems to depend on what you're transcoding - xvid videos
seemed to work better than MPEG2 videos for some reason (it may just be
the resolution of the source file, however).