[mythtv-users] Connecting Myth

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 02:55:02 UTC 2006

On 19/07/06, Bruce Nordstrand <brucen at ksl.com.au> wrote:
> HI all
>
> As yet I have not connected my Myth box to a TV, it is still running on
> a 19" PC monitor. So I thought it is time to do so. I just wanted to
> check what I should be doing...
>
> I have a Blaupunkt 78cm analog TV with 2 scart connectors & 1 composite
> set (video-left-right). I have a nVidia FX 5200 in the Myth box. I am
> assuming I connect my TV cable to my digital card and my nVidia to my TV
> with a S-Video to Scart cable, Yes? Will this give me sound as well?

No, S-Video/composite videos connections are video only, although
SCART can carry both audio and video.

If you are using a S-Video+Audio->SCART adapter (or cable with audio
inputs on the SCART end), you should connect the regular analog output
of your soundcard to the SCART adapter too. This way your TV will
receive the video signal from your videocard, and the audio signal
from your soundcard. This is exactly how I used to connect my box to
my TV before I built a VGA->SCART cable and started using SPDIF.

Contrast this with users of the Hauppauge PVR-350 card's decoding
feafure which has both video and audio outputs on the card, negating
the need for a soundcard if you only require sound for LiveTV and
recordings.

> I ask as I have a SBLIve 5.1 card in the machine also. It has SPDIF
> output but I do not have any SPDIF inputs on my stereo gear, just analog
> inputs for. The Live card does have Front & Rear analog outputs. Do I
> actually need this card for basic TV recording/watching or would it only
> be useful for more "advanced" stuff like connecting to my stereo?

You should connect the 'front' analog output on the soundcard to the
audio input on the SCART adapter, via a stereo 3.5mm->2xphono audio
cable (assuming that the SCART adapter uses phono audio input
connections).

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki: