[mythtv-users] Thoughts on a reliable (backed up) mythtv system

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Jul 19 01:48:36 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 09:17:39PM -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> I continue to hope for Myth to support multiple video store
> mountpoints, though I don't know how well that would interact with the
> New LiveTV approach -- which I don't like, because, like another
> poster, it means you have no real way to tell "how much free space
> there is" -- important to Archivers.
>
> But, yes: Archivers really do want a way to make the program store
> Reliable.  I'm hoping BluRay jukes will get cheap really quickly.

I will admit to feeling less and less kinship with the archivers.

There is so much stuff in my Mythbox that I've taken years to getting around
to watch, and so much new stuff going through it, that I feel effectively
zero temptation to watch old stuff again and again.

But I know there are folks who do.  I'm not sure why RAID is the answer
for that though.  It will save you from a hard disk failure.  The methods
I described could even save you from a failure to record!   Within a short
time I expect all TV shows will be available online for a few bucks near
airdate, and of course most are already on DVD 1-2 years after airdate for
cheap rental.   All movies are available for cheap rental before they air
on TV.   Almost all are available through networks of possibly
questionable legality.   "If I lose my disk I'll go rent the DVD or download
it" may actually be a cheaper solution than buying extra disks, so long as
disk failure is not very frequent.  (How hot you run your disks seems to be
one of the biggest factors here.)

But, as you say, I'm not an archiver.  There's an article in the WSJ today
about how many Netflix subscribers find themselves keeping movies for months,
never getting around to watching them because there's no rush.