[mythtv-users] Myth HD - requirements?

Jeff_Mitchell at accessbusinessgroup.com Jeff_Mitchell at accessbusinessgroup.com
Tue Jul 18 19:57:38 UTC 2006

I hope this threads correctly -- I get the digest.

First off, thanks for the responses.  I appreciate all the help.

One of the things that came up in your responses was a bit troubling,
however -- the encryption of the HD broadcasts.  Based on what I've read,
it doesn't matter if I go the pcHDTV route or the firewire from a cable
box route, neither one is a "free pass" to having Myth record the HD
content that is available from my cable provider.  However, if I could get
HD via an antenna, I wouldn't need to worry about encryption, correct?

So let's say I'm interested in something like Discovery's HD content, or
the Superbowl.  If I wanted to use Myth to record it, I'm at the mercy of
the cable provider, and hoping that the stream is availale and
unencrypted, right?  How does this situation differ with a PVR provided by
the cable company?  (For purposes of illustration, only -- I like my Myth
too much.)

Is there an easy way to tell what unencrypted HD streams might be
available for my area?  Or is that a question for the Comcast help desk?

Thanks again for all of your help.

-Jeff