[mythtv-users] using mythtv

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 19:15:30 UTC 2006

On 7/18/06, Phill Wiggin <alamar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/18/06, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >    I've run a small network of MythTV 0.18 machines on Gentoo here at
> > home for about 15 months. We're using Gentoo and MythTV has changed
> > our TV habits completely. Almost no live TV watching ever takes place
> > around here any more. If it's worth watching then it's worth
> > recording.
> >
> >    That said, look for the easiest way to make it work.... KnoppMyth
> > may be a good one.
> >
> >    Starting last Saturday afternoon I've been trying to upgrade from
> > 0.18 to 0.19. It's now Tuesday morning. Nearly 3 days and I cannot get
> > it to work. I cannot get the backend to run and connect to the
> > database. I had problems with MySQL updates. No fun at all and 3 days
> > of missed recordings.
> >
> >    Look for the easiest way to make it work and go with that! ;-)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mark
>
> I'm going to put in a counter-point here.  I also run Gentoo and
> upgraded from 0.18-0.19. I run multiple frontends (dedicated HTPC,
> laptop, xbox, XBMC) and my upgrade went very smoothly.  I think I was
> down for a couple of hours. (Gentoo recompiles every package when
> your'e upgrading.)  I think I spent about 20 minutes on configuration
> and migration.
>
> Now, I'm sure I've used up my good MythTV Karma and my next upgrade
> will wipe all the hard-drives in my house... That's what I get for
> bragging. =)
>
> --Phill W.

Phil,
   Are you willing to put some more karma in your karma bank and help
me figure out why my systems are now so screwed up? Maybe send along
some config files? .bash_history files? Anything?

   I'm hosed here. 3 days of almost full time work on this and it just
doesn't work. I've rebuilt EVERYTHING. I've tried following both the
Gentoo wiki and the MythTV.org wiki. I've posted to this list this
morning but haven't seen a response yet.

   Toss a dog a bone if you have one to toss.

Thanks,
Mark