[mythtv-users] Myth HD - requirements?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 19:11:52 UTC 2006

> (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)
>
> HDTV streams are already MPEG2. The pcHDTV dumps the stream directly
> to your harddrive; no re-encoding is done.

Correct

> I'm in the US and am definately concerned about DRM.  Some cable
> companies encrypt their HD streams, however they're _supposed_ to
> leave channels being broadcast OTA in their area un-encrypted. (as I
> understand it)  So, if you can get a channel w/ an OTA antanna, it
> should be unencrypted over your cable (though this isn't always the
> case).  I can only get about 4 channels unencrypted over my cable line
> w/ the pcHDTV.

Pretty much right.

> Some people use the Firewire connection from their HD cable boxes,
> though I don't know if that gives full HD resolution or if it's
> downsampled, but I believe it's unencrypted.

It's the same as whatever you can pull in over QAM unencrypted (from
what I've read) but the extra 'nice-ity' from it is that it can also
pull in your SDTV stations, completely removing a PVR or HD tuner card
from the equation.

> > Finally, any anecdotal evidence about what kind of grunt is required for a
> > frontend playing back a HDTV stream?
>
> IIRC, you're looking at needing a 3+Ghz processor if you don't use
> XvMC. If you use XvMC, you can get away with less of a processor, but
> depending on your system, XvMC may be difficult to get working right
> (or at all).  (search the archives for XvMC, nVidia, processor...
> might give some results)

Phil pretty much said it all.  I'd just like to add that there are
outfits out there that give you specs, and in addition to that offer a
system, such as the case of:
http://mythic.tv
They offer the dragon systems, and you can either buy it from them
prebuilt, or check out the specs of the system and buy/build it
yourself.  Another place that doesn't offer all the specs, but offer
prebuilt HD machines is: http://www.pauselivetv.com

If you end up not taking either of those routes, I do suggest using
XvMC if this is a machine that will need to be relative quiet.  It's
worth the extra effort because you get to also get a quieter system.

-Chad