[mythtv-users] using mythtv

Phill Wiggin alamar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 19:04:53 UTC 2006

On 7/18/06, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>    I've run a small network of MythTV 0.18 machines on Gentoo here at
> home for about 15 months. We're using Gentoo and MythTV has changed
> our TV habits completely. Almost no live TV watching ever takes place
> around here any more. If it's worth watching then it's worth
> recording.
>
>    That said, look for the easiest way to make it work.... KnoppMyth
> may be a good one.
>
>    Starting last Saturday afternoon I've been trying to upgrade from
> 0.18 to 0.19. It's now Tuesday morning. Nearly 3 days and I cannot get
> it to work. I cannot get the backend to run and connect to the
> database. I had problems with MySQL updates. No fun at all and 3 days
> of missed recordings.
>
>    Look for the easiest way to make it work and go with that! ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

I'm going to put in a counter-point here.  I also run Gentoo and
upgraded from 0.18-0.19. I run multiple frontends (dedicated HTPC,
laptop, xbox, XBMC) and my upgrade went very smoothly.  I think I was
down for a couple of hours. (Gentoo recompiles every package when
your'e upgrading.)  I think I spent about 20 minutes on configuration
and migration.

Now, I'm sure I've used up my good MythTV Karma and my next upgrade
will wipe all the hard-drives in my house... That's what I get for
bragging. =)

--Phill W.