[mythtv-users] using mythtv

Samuel Leathers disasm at gentux.org
Tue Jul 18 18:18:38 UTC 2006

I run ubuntu with mythtv and the setup was a breeze (no pun intended).
Just installed it with apt (0.18). I ended up making things harder by
getting it from svn and compiling from scratch for the 0.19 doo dads, but
it still wasn't that difficult. I mainly use it for watching dvd's, videos
and listening to music. Getting the games configured has given me a little
trouble, but I'll get it figured out sooner or later. If you have a
separate client from the server, make sure the mythtv server isn't set to
127.0.0.1 or localhost, make sure it's an actual IP. That's a problem I
had for a while that I couldn't figure out.

For the TV Tuner card setup, it depends on your card, but shouldn't be too
difficult. The PCHDTV cards work great for HDTV.

Sam
> I have been doing some reading on the mythtv wiki site and others. I am
> not
> a developer but am seriously interested in the features MythTV offers. I
> run
> FC5 as my desktop PC at home. It seems that installing and configuring
> mythv
> is no small undertaking. I also read that it "isn't (yet) for everyone".
> Can
> some of you give me some feedback on how much trouble it really is for a
> non
> dev user to install? I have 2 TVs (one of which is HD).

Sam Leathers
Sam Leathers Computer Services
814.574.7307
sam at samleathers.com
www.samleathers.com
 -Computer repair services
 -Reliable business consulting
 -Web design and hosting that meets your needs
 -Collection of computers no longer needed
 -Student discounted repair rate
 -Server setups and networking