[mythtv-users] Serial port on Motorola DCT2244 cable boxes

Derek Meek thekazan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 14:58:10 UTC 2006

Go Hskrs wrote:

> I tried to set up serial control of my DCT2244 using several packages,
> including the program in
> /usr/share/doc/mythtv-0.19/contrib/channel_changers/dct-channel, but
> all of them timed out, reporting that the cable box wasn't
> responding.  Nothing happened on the cable box.
>
> Having had enough head-on-wall action for one day, I emailed the local
> cableco, to wit:

you gotta use your IR blaster - WARNING DCT2000's HAVE NOTORIOUSLY
CRAPPY IR RECEIVERS!  I have to sent "Exit" "Exit" #s "Ok" "Exit" x3 to
mine to get it ot tune and it still occasionally fails to tune
properly.  Omitting the 2 "Exit"s at the beginning causes it to NEVer
tune right - it just drops the first two signals it receives in the
sequence - all the trailing exits are to kill the STB menu that
sometimes likes the hang up and stay active and block subsequent channel
changes

here is my script

#!/bin/sh
REMOTE_NAME=DCT2000
irsend SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME "EXIT" "EXIT"
for digit in $(echo $1 | sed -e 's/./& /g'); do # Accept input from MythTV
irsend SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME "$digit"
sleep 0.1
done
irsend SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME "OK" "EXIT" "EXIT" "EXIT"