[mythtv-users] Backend hardware advice - Power usage

Dave Johnson dj4904 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 17 04:24:14 UTC 2006

Out of curiosity, Iıll get my Kill-a-Watt out and check the total power
usage of my storage system.  For those interested in how much their
equipment is costing them, this baby is well worth the 30 bucks:

Kill-a-Watt:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001EY6P0/104-0010433-4125511?v=glance&n=2
28013

I bought it at work because we have a ³wiring closet² doing double-duty as
our server room and we are very constrained by both power and cooling
capacity and needed to balance all the UPSs  (1500va is max for ³wiring
closet² use in San Francisco) across the circuits as well as consider
ditching any inefficient equipment if it didnıt give us the bang/kWh we
needed and anything we could do to lower the 85-deg temp in the room
couldnıt be bad.  This sucker made it a breeze to measure everything.

Interestingly, our three single-cpu 3.0 Xeon Dell PE1850 servers from a year
ago with 2x10kRPM 36GB drives each consume about the same power as  while
our three Opteron 275 dual-cpu BL35p blade servers (1x 60GB PATA 2.5² drive
ea), while these three Opteron dualies do about 4 times the work each (!)

Speaking of power savings, we recently purchased two of the Nexsan
SATABeastıs for our SAN storage and d2d backup and they support both full
spin-down of drives as well as a unique feature that allows the drives to
spin to approx 1/2-speed with less than 2 seconds recovery time.  Pretty
sweet.  Yeah, like I said, bang/kWh is the new buzz for everyone.  Itıs
about time.

Iıll post when I get those numbers.  It would be interesting to see what
numbers others out there have for their systems.  If thereıs enough
interest, I can put a wiki up for people to post their power consumption
numbers... weıll see.

ŒNite,

-Úve