[mythtv-users] tv_grab_au immir... defunct?

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 23:30:06 UTC 2006

> Although perhaps it's best to try to put the effort into OzTivo instead? Do
> they accept "scraped" data?

Not sure what you mean "do they accept scraped data"? The gather data
from different sources and make it available for download to Tivo
users and MythTV users and anyone who wants it really. The data is
sourced in a variety of different ways, as I understand it:

1) Some automatic downloads
2) People manually update via the tvguide.org.au web site
3) People manually update via a thick client called SDE (I think)

Take a look at http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/TVGuide/DataPolicy
which is a brief description on the policy surroundiung the Creative
Commons License which the data is covered under. It says "We do not
want any data to be added to the system if it cannot be covered by
this license" and "We are dependent on data coming in from humans, and
to a lesser extent, on web sources".

The FAQ is at http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/TVGuide/FAQ

An overview is at http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/TVGuide/OverView

Hope that all helps. One thing to note before you start is that you
need to set up an account before you can do any updating or
downloading. But it's free and simple and they don't spam you so it's
a no-brainer. I have been using it on and off for a while - I used the
9MSN one as my main source because it always had 7 full days which
wasn't always the case with OzTiVo but I think it's getting better.

Anyway, we probably have no choice now but to throw our support behind
OzTiVo and the data is very good quality - for example, it provides
star ratings, film classifications, program categories, cast info etc
in much more detail which is a big plus. If you need any help setting
it up, I have a working setup.

Regards,
Phill